I get many messages from you asking for help getting organized. A common theme is “I can organize things, but it never stays that way. I think I’m just destined to live with clutter.”
I wanted to address this question simple give you some tips that really help me. From a working mom in a REAL house.
Here is how to ACTUALLY STAY organized….
1) DON’T BE DISCOURAGED: High-traffic zones are hard to keep organized…they are for me, too!
2) TAKE INVENTORY: Keep in a space only what you actually use. Not back-ups. Not extras. Only the stuff you use. Quit the ifs ands and buts.
3) YOU DON’T JUST NEED “ANOTHER BIN”: Most spaces don’t need new things to make them function. Save $$, yo!
4) USE THE 20% RULE: Leave 20% minimum of free, empty space in any organized space…you need room to grow!
5) HALFWAY-HOME: Put “extras” you are purging in a box for a few months to see if you really need to keep it. Never go in it? Get rid of it!
6) FORGET PERFECT. I’m serious. Your house will NEVER look like a blog. Like ever. And if it does you will be sad because you will have no life. Just aim for efficient 🙂
SEE IT IN ACTION!